Monday, March 20, 2006

the conspiracy against karaoke

(but this one isn't from the vault)

most people actually like to sing. we sing when we feel good. we sing when driving in the car. we sing in the shower. we sing to ourselves without even realizing it.

so why has karaoke gotten such a bad rap in the united states?

the pariah of social activities, karaoke has become a "last resort", something people will only do if they can't think of anything else to do and if they can be drunk while doing it.

why? what is it that makes people scoff at karaoke?

i think that deep in their heart of hearts, people actually like it and are afraid to say so for fear of being persecuted.

huh? huh? admit it. you like it.

it has to be a conspiracy. an anti-karaoke conspiracy.

what's your theory?

3 Comments:

Blogger A. Klemmer said...

It scars the bejeebers out of people, but admitting that would appear weak (they think), so they make fun of the thing that, if they'd only give it a shot, they'd most likely enjoy (at least after two or three beers), said the long-winded guy who's never tried karaoke because he's scared of embarassment, can't sing on-key and doesn't like anything even remotely loud because of his screwed up hearing.

3/21/2006 01:30:00 PM

 
Blogger AlleyCat said...

I myself also like to sing and am insecure about my singing ability and so prefer to make a little fun of Karaoke in order to avoid having to do it, even though I secretly wish someone would just push me out there and force me to do it (or maybe drag me along whilst a whole group of people are doing it), and by it I mean singing, just so you don't get the wrong idea here on purpose, and because of said insecurity I do most heartily suspect that my enjoyment of it would be much enhanced by a few drinks (and possibility also my performance as well). That is to say, my abilities in other languages (such as French, the Language of Love) are much enhanced by beverages and quite possibly the same would hold true for my musical ability.

3/23/2006 06:55:00 AM

 
Blogger CamoBunny said...

klemmer: i was going to invite you to karaoke with me because i make it a point to try to make everyone comfortable and i would never tease anyone for being a bad singer. but i see that you don't like loudness because of your hearing. so i promise not to force karaoke upon you as long as you promise never to take me dancing.

ms. cat: while alcohol dampens the part of the brain from which arises inhibition, it also dampens the parts that control rhythm, volume, and, most importantly, pitch. i find this to be an unfortunate combination.

3/24/2006 01:55:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger