Thursday, February 09, 2006

get it?

you know how sometimes people just don't get it? and sometimes there are specific people who never get it?

unfortunately, i find it hard to be friends with them.

there's one person, for example, that so often misunderstands that i've stopped telling her things. i'd tell a whole long detailed story, with bullet points and highlighted statements and i would even repeat my thesis a couple of times, and she somehow manages to misconstrue the meaning of my story.

there's another who always tries to interpret what i say as reflections of me and my personality, and my world view. he is always dead wrong.

what is it? is it a language barrier? bad listening skills? faulty deductive skills? different world views? prejudice? arrogance?

arrogance? what i mean by this is a combination of egocentrism and countertransference. it's a combination of a) projecting one's own faults onto someone else, and b) an inability to modify one's prejudgment when presented with new facts, because, among other things, to do that would mean admitting one was wrong.

wait, that's not exactly what i meant. oh well. nevermind.

has it occurred to me that maybe i am the one who does not get it? yes. but if i were the odd one out, i wouldn't be surrounded by other people who get it and agree with me.

we should try to be friends anyway. but today i am thankful for people who get it.

9 Comments:

Blogger P-Zan Leong said...

I think that comes from being judgemental. Instead of paying attention and listening, they form an assumption at the same time, and believe that what they assume is true.

2/09/2006 12:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Joshua said...

I don't identify with or understand what you're talking about at all. I feel like I have no problems whatsoever with people misunderstanding or misconstruing my words.

Just kidding.

By the way, I put "peek-a-boo" comments up on my blog, I hope that doesn't infringe on you somehow. Your blog is the only one I've seen that has comments set like that, and I always found it a pleasant and convenient feature and wondered how you had done it and I recently saw the hack and so I decided to put it on my blog. I guess I shouldn't really have to mention this to you since you didn't invent or anything (or did you?) Just take it as a compliment. You are a trend-setting blogger.

2/09/2006 09:19:00 PM

 
Blogger CamoBunny said...

trend-setting? (blush) why, thank you.

i've been gravitating toward seafoam green lately. watch for it as the next 'in' color.

no, seriously. peek-a-boo comments rock. i don't know how people blog without them (i'd like to thank blogger for the hack). i'll have to hop over to your blog and check it out.

2/09/2006 10:17:00 PM

 
Blogger CamoBunny said...

actually, "sage" is a better descriptor...

2/09/2006 10:17:00 PM

 
Blogger CamoBunny said...

i qualified "arrogance" but not "prejudice". by prejudice i mean prejudging, not racism.

2/10/2006 11:23:00 AM

 
Blogger Joshua said...

I just read this article about a study about e-mail tone interpretation and thought you would like it. It made me think of this post.

Wow, all that needed was an "I like your blog" at the beginning and it would totally be a spam comment.

I have my own blog that you might find interesting. It is mostly about e-mail tone interpretation-related stuff.

2/18/2006 02:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Joshua said...

Let see how you interpreted the tone on that one.

2/18/2006 02:33:00 PM

 
Blogger CamoBunny said...

i interpret it as mockery. mockery of whom, i'm not sure. but sending people to a 404, that's funny. : )

2/18/2006 03:07:00 PM

 
Blogger CamoBunny said...

and that means fewer people get it than we think. but that's what i said, isn't it? that's why it seems to be such a big deal when, like, a girl like me finds someone who really gets me, you know, like, it's like the universe, like, meant for us to be together...

and other such rot.

2/18/2006 03:09:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger