Thursday, February 09, 2006

gift

it was done.

because i so love giving gifts, i had invested time in it, but not too much time. definitely a thoughtful gift, designed and created entirely by me. i chose the stain of the wood, the different papers and matting. i hand-lettered the verse, tracing with colored pencil on the translucent overlay. i wrote a personal message and the date on the back, gold ink on burgundy background. i cleaned the glass, carefully placed each layer into the box, closed the back, and set it up to look at it.

eh. it was nice enough, i guess. then a thought hit me. drying above my bedroom mirror were red roses, the first flowers he’d given me. i took two dried petals and placed them inside the shadowbox, where they lay at the foot of the display.

perfect.

and now, meaningless.

my first and last valentine’s day gift.

i wonder where it is now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger