Sunday, September 23, 2007

how many md's does it take...

in preparation for camodidi's imminent visit [little bunny hop and booty wiggle of excitement], this evening i have changed out all my burned-out lightbulbs. the ones in the bathrooms near the showers (yes, one each. totally annoying) proved to be the most difficult. they're the sort that have a frosted glass bowl-type thing covering the bulbs, with a brushed brass metal part on bottom keeping the bowl tight on the plate that's attached to the ceiling.

first it was a matter of getting up high enough to reach the fixture. i tried my stepstool. still too short. so i went straight to my barstools. (cherry-stained wood with black leather covered seats that rotate, and four-legged for maximum wobble factor. but i put them together myself, so they don't wobble, thanks very much.) standing on this, it took me a while to figure out which part unscrewed to release the bowl, but i figured it out. then i learned something else— the frosted glass bowls are heavy! the removal was easy, but balancing all the parts not so.

whatever. i got the things changed, and when re-attaching the bowls i found myself saying to myself (both in my head and out loud), "don't drop the fixture. don't drop the fixture. do not drop the fixture!"

it reminds me of three things.

1) it reminds me of puffintoad, and how when she'd be driving in her car, she'd turn and see pedestrians, and say, "don't hit the people. don't hit the people!" it helped.

2) it reminds me of me when i used to attend deliveries, especially c-sections. i'd get all draped up and the OB would hand me the baby after delivery. little babies, when fresh out of the oven, are quite slippery, and with a drape between my hands and the infant, i was afraid i wouldn't have the greatest control. turns out the drape affords very good control, but i would still say over and over in my head, "don't drop the baby. don't drop the baby. DO NOT DROP THE BABY!" it works, and i advise all med students to recite the same incantation when receiving infants.

3) it reminds me of this:


eeeeeheehee! "we thought you was a toad!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger