Monday, October 29, 2007

reasons why

finishing clinic, i stopped by my mailbox and found a card from one of our patient's families. the little guy was in the hospital for a long time, and made it home several months ago. as he was cared for by nearly all of the fellows at some point, i don't know why this family chose to contact me. they sent me a card of thanks and two photos of my patient.

the first one was a picture of us together. i have to say, it's kind of a sad picture. he looks rather feeble; he is gaunt, plethoric, and blue. i was post-call, sallow, with dark circles under my bespectacled eyes, hair in a crazy ponytail. he grimaces weakly as i hold him in my arms and muster a pathetic smile.

the second picture is one that i'm guessing the family will send out for their holiday greetings. he's gotten really big. he's decked out in a seasonal jumper, and is a rosy-cheeked, roly-poly infant giving the camera a big drooly open-mouthed toothless smile. he was caught mid-laugh. he looks hardy and happy. really happy.

i immediately posted the pictures above my desk.

i'm excited to have started my collection of photos of my patients, sent by their parents in celebration of how far they have come.

i can look at my collection and remember. i confess that i had forgotten.

these are my reasons why.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thérèse said...

Everyone needs a reason why. Otherwise, you lose it.

10/30/2007 02:51:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger