Tuesday, August 14, 2007

feedback

today my boss/advisor dude sat me down for my evaluation.

i did not expect much in the way of constructive criticism or feedback. when he asked me what i thought i need from my workplace to help me learn/work better, i couldn't think of anything to say.

we talked briefly about my research and my work goals for this year. he then asked, "is there anything holding you back?"

i thought for a short while, and answered, "motivation. i am much less motivated than i used to be. there are external factors that are related to that."

we then talked about life, and music, and what it's like living alone.

i changed the subject and asked for criticism. he had none to offer, but warned me against being "unrealistically self-critical." he summarized by adding, "you are way, way above average, which completely violates my usual evaluation method using strictly 'below average,' 'average,' and 'above average'. your career trajectory is perfect. you will be fine."

that was the extent of talking about work. we went on to spend a lot of time talking about happiness, and religion, and dating, and music.

i know he spent time with other doctors talking about work.

i defer drawing conclusions for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger