Wednesday, June 07, 2006

best gifts

i don't usually get much stuff for my birthdays.

this year has been a record, of sorts.

first, from saara, a gift of jewelry (!), one that is thoughtful and carries significance regarding our friendship, which is special to both of us. our friendship is special, i mean. of course the bracelet is special too, and pretty. oh and there was dinner. and a surprise call with a birthday song, that being the birthday song.

then, a letter:

Hi [Bunny]!

Funny about birthdays, about the fact that we all get one day that's more important than all the rest; the ownership of that one specific date that will always be special.

For your birthday, I wish that you would have a happy day, full of good thoughts and nice people and beauty and joy.

I am glad that you are my friend, and I like how modern technology enables me to keep tabs on your life and your thoughts, even though we sit several thousand miles apart. In a more perfect world, I would be able to have you over for coffee and pie (preferably a large chocolate cream pie with loads o' flavor and riches). I'd sing you "Happy Birthday" and throw confetti. Then, of course, we would go see Dave Brubeck and chill over a glass of some crazy-good vintage wine, and talk music and stuff. I'd admire your perfect shoes and attire, and you'd use thoughtful sentences full of colorful adjectives and metaphors. We'd close the evening with a walk through warm night air, under stars and amiable atmosphere.

That's what I'd do for your birthday if you were here or I were there.

I miss you.

[Puffintoad]

and so you see, having friends who know exactly what i'd like best for my birthday has made all the difference.

1 Comments:

Blogger A. Klemmer said...

Wow. What a great note to get on one's birthday.

(Um, Puffintoad, mine's in December. A note any day will do.

Oh, that it were that easy to make deep, enduring friendships.

I'm glad you know the value of the connection, Ms. Bunny.)

6/08/2006 02:51:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger