Friday, November 18, 2005

my patients are the best

i know you know i felt kinda crappy last night. i think it was the weather, plus a phone call i got. mostly the weather. whatever. and this morning was cold, cold, cold. i knew i had to get fresh scrubs and go put air in my tires before getting to work at 0700. i got up at 0530 and it still wasn't quite enough time.

i hate being late. i wasn't, but i thought i was going to be, which is irritating. not a good way to start the day. especially a cold day. i hate the cold. have i mentioned how i hate the cold?

my first patient of the day definitely helped me more than i helped him. he was a quiet one who appeared wise beyond his years as he stoically looked all about the room. he looked directly at me as i approached his bedside. his eyes were large and knowing, and reflected no questioning or doubts. not a sound did he make as i made my intentions clear and pulled back his covers. i completed my examination with his complete and silent cooperation. remarkable. i covered him back up and looked toward him one last time. at this point he looked back at me and lifted his hand to his face.

i couldn't take it anymore. i had to pick him up and talk to him, and thank this warm little newborn baby for making me feel better on this cold, cold day.

2 Comments:

Blogger CamoBunny said...

this lackluster post confirms it. i have lost my way with words.

11/18/2005 04:38:00 PM

 
Blogger CamoBunny said...

i'm glad it's still worth something, then.

by the way, you are visitor number 1,111.

11/19/2005 11:28:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger