Friday, November 11, 2005

listening room

it now occurs to me how few true listening venues there are for good live music. last night i was so excited to go out to sit alone at my own little table with my dessert and black coffee and just listen to my friend gaptoof's trio play. i really love it when i have the opportunity to do that. well, my friend had invited plenty of his other friends, and as he introduced me to his other friends i suddenly had social obligation to fulfill. "it's a pleasure to meet you." then we launch into that dreaded dance called small talk. i consider myself incapable of small talk. idle chatter for unbridled tongues.

the woman next to me kept initiating conversation, even though nothing about my initial body language solicited it. rather, it usually says, "i'm very involved with this song that's playing right now." after about three minutes i felt rude and turned my chair back in toward the table. we then talked the whole time, which is unusual for me; i can't usually have a conversation about things i don't care about. we must have been talking about things i care about. maybe that's the unusual part. it's not often i find people who also care about things i feel are worth talking about.

so i have made an acquaintance. she wants to come to church. that's cool i guess.

whoa. that didn't hit me 'til just now. maybe that's why i was there last night. now i don't feel so disgruntled about not getting listen to the music the way i had intended. from one listening room to another.

too bad my migraine has continued from last night into today, draping the entire right side of my face in pain and coloring my current views of the world with a tinge of nausea. sometimes i wonder if i'm actually in status migrainosus that's temporarily suppressed by NSAIDs. speaking of NSAIDs, i'd better go put something on my stomach and a touch of caffeine into my system. then i can come back and listen to more midón while i put off doing my work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger