Monday, September 12, 2005

nameless meets faceless

some random dude introduced himself to me today.

well, okay, he could definitely have been more random. he was some dude at my new workplace that i've seen walkin' around there on occasion. he's like, mid-forties, bald with a white fringe, middle eastern maybe. blue blazer. grey slacks. walkin' around.

i first saw him walking by the cafeteria with an elderly woman who must have been his mother. i remember making a mental note that we should all be good to our mothers, as he seemed to be doing while leading her verrrrrrrry slooooowly toward the women's restroom.

after that i'd see him walkin' around here and there. last week he started saying hi so i guess he had noticed me sometime before too, although i thought it odd he'd greet me. today i noticed him from far away and avoided direct eye contact, as is my habit when i'm not sure if i should say hi, but he stopped me and said "i keep seeing you around; i'm (some guy), i'm on the board here." i told him my name but i wasn't listening to his, i was stuck in the two seconds before that still being surprised he stopped me. i remember his nametag said "board member" but i can't remember the name on it.

that's all. i'm somewhat nonplussed. do you stop random people and introduce yourself? maybe that's what socially normal people do and i never did figure that out. maybe that's why he's an administrator and i'm a clinician. maybe i should do that more often and i'd know more people. aaAAHhh! that is a really scary thought to me.

which is odd. i know i really have nothing to lose at this point. i have no face to lose, but i'm strongly afraid of losing face. inhibition controls me so much it oozes out of my pores–i can feel a pimple starting on my forehead from it. which makes me self-conscious. which makes me inhibited.

yup. there's a question mark over my head (between the bunny ears) about today's little meetgreet, but i can't define my question. anyone have any answers? d'win? va? you know "people". help me out here. maybe i can figure out what my question is off of you.

maybe i need to work on MY camo (puffintoad).

2 Comments:

Blogger CamoBunny said...

didn't look to see if there was a ring, so i don't know. i guess that didn't occur to me because he seems so much older than i am. i forget that that doesn't necessarily matter. then again, neither do rings.

about the date offers— ha ha, i don't know, girl. i'm not like you, with the power to to make men drop their corn. (remember that?)

waiting for a guy to leave an opinion on your theory.

it's funny, i have no problems introducing myself when the agenda i have is not about me, mostly because the interaction is scripted ("hi, i'm from across the way, [helpless eyes] could one of you nice doctors help me with an opinion on this child's x-ray? [cute smile]"). but then again if i have a reason then they're likely to address that and then just watch me walk away, don't you think?

9/13/2005 01:38:00 PM

 
Blogger Joshua said...

I'm a guy, but I'm quite socially backwards myself. My best guess is that he is just a friendly, outgoing guy. In my opinion we could use a few more such people in the world. I hope one day to get the courage to be one of them.

Or I guess it is possible he is interested in you.

I'm so socially retarded and anxiety ridden that the more attracted I am to a girl the less likely I would be to introduce myself and attempt to have a conversation with her. So this probably isn't the best "guy" opinion.

Actually, I found it kind of surprising that a guy being friendly at work was such a shocker to someone. Maybe my environs (Utah) is a slightly more friendly place than the Show Me state?

9/16/2005 10:39:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger