Sunday, September 25, 2005

everybody wants to be me

okay boys. remember how this was supposed to be my site for my women friends? here it comes. turn around if you wish. or just, i don't know, scroll down and read my previous posts. (translation: look away! look away!)

i’ve never considered myself anything of a fashion maven. yes, i have my own style, definitively me, but i don’t think much about it; i just know what i like and what looks good on me. i may have been voted “best dressed intern” my intern year and whatnot, but i am NEVER TRENDY. i hate it when people call me trendy.

maybe the reason why people mistake me for trendy is that trends have been following my flava by a few months to a year, which makes me a trendSETTER (or perhaps, fashion-forward?) rather than trendy. in high school, i got the small rectangular thin-framed glasses about ten months before they came into fashion. in college, we were wearing flannel right before the grunge movement kicked in. and everyone with black hair has been trying to get highlights like my natural color for years and years. okay, but that’s old news. now things are starting to get ridiculous.

i bought a black oscar de la renta cashmere cowl neck sweater. i remember being uncertain how to arrange all the fabric around my neck, because i hadn’t seen anyone wear that before. well, i just had to wait a year. cowl necks were everywhere.

on my last trip out of the country, i found a pair of white pumps with pale blue detailing, including bows on the instep and the heel. they attracted me, but then i was really taken with the version in black and pink. now this was totally not consistent with my past habits, but for some reason they seemed right, so i got them. this represented me broadening my mind to accept such girliness in my wardrobe. on the same trip i got the black scarf with the pink embroidery. six months later, pink was all the rage in the states. i mean, like a pepto-bismol explosion. you remember that. black-and-pink and bows were suddenly in too. and one year later i found an obvious knockoff of my shoe at dillard’s. with all the pink around i transitioned to blue. i have preferred blue for summer for a couple years now. and the next “in” color? blue. turquoise to be exact. (but no, i never condoned brown and turquoise.)

some time ago i needed comfy shoes so i could pace around and around the icu all night. so i got funky blue-grey diesels with an obnoxious hot pink stripe. this year, skechers has a knockoff highlighted in commercials that play during the cartoon hours.

last year i decided i wanted a pair of motorcycle boots. i didn’t know why, i just did. i went online and got the harness style with the ring. harley brand, of course. on sale. and now? frye motorcycle boots, same style, suddenly all over the department stores, about twice as much as i paid for mine. haha.

scarves. been doing that for a couple of years now. people are calling all the recent scarfage part of the bohemian trend, but considering the above, can you be sure? and i just laughed when i saw my john deere t-shirt being sold in the little mama’s boys’ department at nordstrom’s.

that’s enough. i’ve gone on ad nauseam; i’m even making myself sick talking about such frivolous crap. i mean, come on. who cares? i’m not saying i’m all that. i’m definitely not. nor do i take responsibility for some of the abominations that have been trendy. ugg boots? ugh, no way. and bohemian? why would i want to dress like an impoverished eastern european from back in the day? no offense to anybody; it's just that it's obvious how that wouldn’t work on me.

i’ve always been a t-shirt and jeans girl at heart, and i’m stickin’ to that story. black is never out of style to me, either. red has its place in my life (usually paired with black), as does burgundy. clean, elegant (and elongating) lines are always the way to go. add one thing, one small detail that makes the whole thing pop. and there’s nothing, nothing like a crisp white shirt to wear over anything.

k, i’m done now. whatever. if everybody wants to be me, that’s fine. just remember, there ain’t nothin’ like the real thing, baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger