Tuesday, March 04, 2008

victory

another day has passed, and i am prepared for war.

surprise attack! teeth clenched, i wrap my fingers tightly around the throat of my enemy. an involuntary battle cry escapes my lungs as we struggle one-on-one. there is no one to help me now; i am alone in my cause.

my foe has proven himself a mighty adversary in the past, but today i am armed. i reach for my knife, and one! two! threefourfivesixseveneightnineten! and again, and again, and again

and at last, my enemy releases his hold and surrenders. panting from the struggle, heart pounding, i am in disbelief as my cramping hands slowly loosen their grip, bruised and sore.

and tonight i dine on chips and salsa.

ha!

(i tried the hot water over the lid thing, and the slam against the counter thing, and the rubber glove thing. what finally did it was rapping the lid with a knife all around its edge, many many times. i win, i win!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yay!

I run into that problem a lot in the kitchen. It's funny, all of us cooks never like to hand an unopened jar over to someone else, because it feels like defeat.

We had this one worker last summer who had trouble opening the large jars of artichoke hearts, so we gave him the knife tapping tip. So he took a cleaver and brought it down on the jar, which immediately smashed into smithereens.

3/04/2008 07:52:00 PM

 
Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

Yes I was going to suggest the smashing technique. Never fails!

3/05/2008 07:29:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger