Sunday, September 24, 2006

battery

it was not what we expected. billed as a jazz venue, the place was loud, dirty, and crowded, and there was no jazz. it was fun nonetheless, mostly because camodidi and i like music and people-watching.

so i stood next to the bar, and he nearer to the aisle/people dancing in the aisle. we were definitely out of place (everyone else in the place was of a different race) but we didn't care.

in the middle of a particularly funky and popular song i started to feel pain in my right arm. a millisecond later i realized that it was being pressed into the edge of the bar because i was being squished. the yelling and grunting close to my left ear alerted me to the fact that there was fighting in very close proximity. suddenly two big dudes appeared, taking position to form a solid wall between the violence and me. it was camodidi and wayne/dwayne. wayne/dwayne (it was loud, and i couldn't hear what his name was, camodidi heard 'dwayne' but i heard 'wayne') was the guy who'd been standing in front of me and hitting on me (right in front of my brother too, hello). (oh, and i've noticed lately that the only men who ever tell me that i'm attractive are men who've been drinking. evidently that's what it takes to make me look good. heehee, kidding, kidding.)

in any case, it was surprising to me how quickly they stepped in to protect me. actually i've never really been "protected" like that before. it was a new feeling, one that made me realize how small and vulnerable i am. i tend to forget that, being out there fighting the good fight alone most of the time.

i'm not sure what else to say about that.

a mild bruise, about 2"x2", is forming on my right arm. with the mass that was squishing me (the two big fighting dudes shoving into my brother, who was shoved into me) i estimate the force on that area was ~175 psi. that's wild.

but i don't even care about that. mostly i'm still ticked that there was no jazz. i mean, COME ON!


1 Comments:

Blogger A. Klemmer said...

Scary stuff. Good to have friends. And jazz. Or blues.

9/30/2006 08:56:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger