Wednesday, February 22, 2006

hic!

i have the hiccups.

my hiccups are the classic “hic!” sound. and when i do it my whole upper body goes up. sometimes i even make the “hic-uk!” sound. it’s probably the only thing i do the traditional way—besides my practices of medicine and music.

it used to be that when i got the hiccups, i’d have them on and off for days. days, i tell you. on and off.

startling me does not stop my hiccups. it just makes me mad. making me scared has worked though—one of my scary teachers once worked her cure on me by getting real up close in my personal space and interrogating me about something i can’t remember what but i was so frightened i went into fight-or-flight which probably changed my sympathetic-parasympathetic tone balance and stopped my random phrenic nerve firings and therefore my hiccups. and once i ate a cube of sugar and that stopped my hiccups successfully for some reason. i also hear that a good long kiss stops hiccups. makes sense. but i’ve never had a boyfriend and the hiccups at the same time, so i haven’t gotten to try it out yet. maybe next time i’ll just grab a stranger and see.

sometimes hiccups mean something is seriously wrong inside your abdomen. on the rare occasion it’s an actual medical condition, it is often that something is wrong with the spleen. it's not because of the spleen itself; it's because of where the spleen is. because it’s so cosy with the diaphragm. nevermind. don’t you dare go running to the doctor and asking about if your spleen is okay next time you get hiccups, you freakin’ hypochondriacs. don’t do it! and all babies hiccup a lot. don’t ask why, they just do. so don’t bring them to the e.r. for it. i only wrote this paragraph because i wanted to write the word "spleen" anyway.

when i was a kid they used to say that the hiccups meant you were growing. that’d be awesome. you see, i lack about three inches in my tib-fibs for them to be proportionate with my femurs and with the rest of my body. that’s three inches taller that i should be. that's three inches of top shelf that i can't reach. that’s three inches i have to cut off the bottoms of my pant legs when i buy outside of the “petite” section.

so instead, i’m just hiccuping with no consequence except that it sounds “cute”, which takes away from my credibility as a professional.

dang-hic!-it.

3 Comments:

Blogger A. Klemmer said...

I'm only writing this comment because I want to try using the word "spleen," too. There. Now I know why you wrote that paragraph.

(You didn't ask for a hiccups cure, so I shan't leave one. But next time, write me and I will tell you Grandma Klemmer's proven cure. Very simple, and has worked with everyone I ever shared it with.)

2/22/2006 09:34:00 PM

 
Blogger MAM said...

It's true, you asked for no cure, but, unlike the polite a.klemmer (hugs to ttd!!) I will brazenly leave a Russian cure that has worked on all--drunk,sober, old and young.

So.
1) take a glass of water
2)stand next to something/one you can hold on to
3)take a sip but do not yet swallow
4)stand on your tip toes. do not swallow
5)tip your head back so your throat is a straight line with your mouth
6)swallow
7)repeat continually until hiccups go away. This should be in about 3-4 applications.

There.

As for the spleen, isn't it commonly used in the "vent your" sense? Is that even physically possible? Highest regard to you.

2/23/2006 08:18:00 PM

 
Blogger CamoBunny said...

yes. the "vent your" phrase is more common. no, it is not physically possible for a person to vent the spleen. dogs and other four-legged furry friends can, though. i wonder if bunnies can...

but it was true what i said about the spleen. i once helped treat a man who presented with intractable hiccups and he had a splenic tumour. or was it an abscess?

thank you for your comment.

2/23/2006 09:13:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger