Sunday, January 15, 2006

nostalgia

at seven o'clock i decided to finally just go to the grocery store, but as i stepped out the door something felt very significant in a nostalgic sort of way. i couldn't quite put my finger on it.

the piercing smell of winter hit me along with the fine cold mist on my face. no one else was out. no cars, no squirrels, no movement. it was very quiet, and i felt just how alone i was out there in the dark. without realizing it i paused on the sidewalk and looked up at the moon. it was almost full, just waning, a pale gold, and covered in a haze. i tightened the belt on my red coat and continued, heels clicking on the sidewalk. climbing into my car i felt a sense of "supposed to be." something was supposed to be different. it was as though i had forgotten my original agenda and convinced myself i was doing something else all along. i was not supposed to be so thin and cold and alone. i was supposed to be driving a routine drive to see someone i loved. but i was not. i was going to the grocery store.

how odd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger