Sunday, November 06, 2005

humility

now playing on my sound system is a recording of myself last week singing a song at church. i haven't listened to a recording of myself in a long time. i can't decide how i feel about this one.

i had already written nearly an entire post about the experience of singing this song and now that i know what it sounded like i have to finish it by beginning with a disclaimer and ending with criticism.

the mistakes in intonation and my unsupported tone at the beginning frustrate me enough that i am in a way unable to hear whether or not the next verses are good. then i recall that i was trying not to cry, and i can forgive myself somewhat.

you see, here's the setup. the pastor had just announced that bad things were happening to people at our church. it was something especially heartbreaking to specific members of the congregation, including the singer next to me, who began to sob aloud.

i had several moments before i was to start singing our song for communion. then, me. my turn. my turn to be the sole voice echoing throughout the gymnasium. no pressure. no fair.

i had previously decided not to allow myself to feel the meaning of what i was singing. i had meditated on the lyrics’ significance for a while already, and i knew it’d make me cry upon actual solo rendition, with real accompaniment (dulcimer and guitar). now with this extra bit of emotional stress, it took a little more effort to unfocus that most sensitive part of my brain and look straight ahead at the music in such a way that i would only see the words on the page, black on white, simple, plain, to transliterate them directly into notes and sounds. do not consider. do not pass “go”. do not collect $200.

as i started i did notice a few spots of shoddy intonation, difficult to fix without better ventral support. my mic was turned up so darn hot that i couldn’t support like i wanted to or it would distort. i hate it when they're like that. in a few places my voiced scratched a little, also because of lack of support and trying not to cry. so i went into lullaby mode after a few lines. you know, not real singing, kinda like, well, where you make your vocal cords as slack as possible and go all airy and then you need to have the mic right up to your face. i focused hard on the aesthetic itself, making each tone as pretty (pretty isn’t usually my thing) as possible, embellishing only with a few refined vowel shapings and consonant variations. nooooo, no rubato or mordents or any of that junk. i’m a purist. certain melodies are most powerful in their purest form. calm tempo, gently pulsing rhythm. shape the lines into the sentences you see before you. make it float. make those lines hover in the air to shimmer as long as possible before dissipating.

it’s okay to do that every once in a while, disconnect like that. i was consciously thinking about how the congregation is blessed, that God blesses them through the pure elements of the lyrics and the notes themselves, so for this time i wanted to focus on those things.

listening now to this unforgiving recording i want to forget that i thought it went that well. it's fine; i can hear that it went just fine. but only fine.

i usually listen to myself to try to see how i can improve. i'm somewhat disappointed at this because i guess i thought i'd improved more than i have. and this time i can't figure out what to do differently (since it felt good at the time) besides hold the mic further away from my face and go ahead and support more for the sake of tone and intonation. forget about those consonant variations; they sound cheesy and forced. oh and don't pay attention to people crying around me. i know deep down that that's not going to fix the real issue. the real issue is that i'm just not really THAT good. i say this with all objectivity and neutrality of emotion, not in a self-deprecating or depressed way.

i prefer the opposite of what just happened. i prefer to think that i am not as good i really am. that way reality is a pleasant surprise. ah, humility. something else i need to practice. i suppose this most recent exercise counts?

5 Comments:

Blogger Joshua said...

I know you're trying to figure how you can improve technically and all that, but I just want to say that I'm sure despite whatever imperfections of intonation or whatever it is that might have come through in your performance, the congregation appreciated your song, and it blessed them. At least if they are there to commune with God and learn how to be better people, rather than to be entertained or show everyone how righteous they are. When someone makes a mistake or there is a less-than-perfect musical performance at my church I don't sit and dwell on the problems, I just appreciate what was good about it and that the people performing had the guts and were willing to get up there and perform for everyone during the meeting despite their imperfections. The only things that will make me not appreciate a musical performance at church is if the music and/or lyrics are really sappy or melodramatic, or if the performance feels insincere, like they are just up there to show off. But even then I'll forgive them. However, I have to qualify this by saying that I tend to listen to a lot of rock, soul, country and especially indie rock, so I guess I have a pretty strong tolerance/taste for emotive singing that is not technically perfect singing. So maybe I'm further biased.

I would assume your congregation is not looking for some kind of perfect performance. It shouldn't be like going to the symphony. I don't know what church you go to or what your church is like, though. I've visited churches where everything is so rehearsed and professional. Paid musicians. Paid reverend. They are putting on a show. I've been to churches where people run and dance and babble and flop around on the floor, but it's still clear that the whole meeting is carefully calculated to provide such a seemingly chaotic, "spiritual" spectacle by those in charge.

I feel like one of the main purposes for church meetings is for the members to share talents and learn from each other. Especially, learn how to get along and love each other, respect each other. We are all imperfect and we are asked to speak and sing and do different things. We have faith and do the best we can and God helps us to do better than we can do on our own. And God inpsires us and uses what we bring to bless everyone else. The one thing we are absolutely not there to do is to judge each other. We are there to support each other, and allow each other to learn and grow. In our congregations we would rather have a thirty-person choir even though half of them aren't great singers and may make mistakes, rather than a choir of six or eight great singers. We would be perfectly happy to have a musical performance by someone who gets scratchy on a few notes than no musical performance at all. If someone from the Met is there to sing an aria or something, that's just a bonus. The Holy Ghost doesn't care if you're off-key. Well, if someone were messing it up on purpose to be offensive or irritating, then that might be a different story.

So, the bottom line is, don't get some crazy idea in your head like you should stop singing or something, even if you may not be destined to be the greatest vocalist of the 21st Century. Use what you've got, and if others don't like it, that's there problem. We all need to find ways to share more of what God has given us, not put it away.

Once again the mouth runneth o'er. But you know this about me by now. Have a good day.

11/07/2005 05:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Joshua said...

It should be

"that's their problem."

11/07/2005 05:29:00 PM

 
Blogger CamoBunny said...

hmm. you're not a musician, are you. no need to rehash themes of musical worship. i've been doing this for a long time, and have long since grown beyond a "performance" mentality in this context. the purpose of music in church is not to share talent, but to worship. as i indicated, worship happened. i remain pleased about that. and as an added bonus, some people stopped me to tell me they thought it was beautiful.

this isn't about that. you see, i'm not some person who just sings in church. i'm a musician. that's the reason for this post. does that fill in a blank for you? this post is simply about the deflating feeling of finding out you're not as good at something as you thought you were. thanks for your input though.

for those who want to read more about music in worship, stop by worship in the city and browse around.

11/08/2005 12:30:00 AM

 
Blogger Joshua said...

Sorry, I guess I just went off because I was looking for an argument or something. I was probably arguing something in my own head that didn't even have to do with what you actually wrote.
I have a problem with that sort of thing sometimes.

I'll try to be sure it doesn't happen again.

11/14/2005 05:54:00 PM

 
Blogger CamoBunny said...

what for the apology? no need, no offense taken here.

11/15/2005 01:06:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
site feed powered by blogger